Cognitive and social development occurs so rapidly and intensely during childhood that every missed opportunity to nurture that development is lost potential. Adverse Childhood Experiences divert kids from the road to readiness.
Opportunity Gaps: limited preschool or enrichment experiences; unprepared caregivers; limited resources for education, health care; transportation and housing
Trauma: abuse, neglect or exposure to domestic violence; stress brought on by poverty or resettlement, unsafe neighborhoods
Social Factors: child or adult mental health issues, substance abuse, or developmental delays; incarceration or other parental separation; family crisis
Who can participate in ReadyKids programs?
- Kids who qualify for free and reduced lunch
- Kids with single parents
- Kids where English is not their first language
- Families with or at risk of CPS involvement
- Parents who have not completed high school
- Kids not attending preschool or in low quality environment
- Kids living in unsafe environments
- Disrupted families or families at risk of disruption
- Anyone who needs us
Where do you get referrals?
- Friends & Family
- ReadyKids staff
- Department of Social Services
- Mental Health Professionals
How do we get kids ready for life?
- We provide counseling, family support and early learning opportunities.
- Our programs work with kids and those who care for them.
- We try to intervene with kids as early as possible to mitigate risks and set them up for success
Where does ReadyKids work?
- ReadyKids generally delivers programs to the central Virginia region.
- Charlottesville City, Albemarle County, Nelson County, Louisa County, Fluvanna County and Green County
- We meet participants in homes, schools, neighborhoods, community centers, early education centers and here in the office! As much as we can, we try to go where kids are.